Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Live Earth

Got to cover Live Earth this weekend!
Actually, that's a lie. We had an extra press pass, so my colleague D'Arcy offered me a spot in the press pen. The concert in London was at Wembley stadium, which is set up for sports, so my seat and the press area as a whole was just outstanding.
Live Earth, fyi, was a series of concerts starting in Australia and spanning all seven continents till it ends in New York. And by New York, I mean New Jersey. And nothing EVER happens in New Jersey. Therefore, the NJ bureau took the story over so we Londoners could focus on terrorism and 'real' news. So I honestly just went to the concert for free and ate free, but stale, sandwiches. Awesome.
I'll post pics when I get home.
Here's who performed:
Genesis, Razorlight, Snow Patrol, Damien Rice and David Grey (who covered Que Sera Sera, which I have had stuck in my head since), Kasabianm, Paolo Nutini, Black Eyed Peas, John Legend, Duran Duran, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bloc Party, Corinne Bailey Rae, Terra Naomi, Keane, Metallica, Spinal Tap, James Blunt, Beastie Boys, Pussycat Dolls, Foo Fighters, and Madonna.
Spinal Tap was incredible and absolutely stole the show. They brought out a miniature model of stonehenge during the song Stonehenge, which all the artists had signed. Then during Big Bottom, any artists backstage who could play the bass came out to join the band. They were introduced by Spinal Tap as "ever bass player known to man."
Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the Beastie boys were also amazing.
What made me sad about the whole event is that no one mentioned saving the earth the entire time. The concerts were supposed to be about ending global warming, etc. And no artist said anything about the earth. Except for Fergie, sort of. It was like no one realized what the concert was for!
Plus, my job was to check for press conferences. There was a room available in case the artists wanted to make a statement before or after they played. Not one person or band had a press conference. Not one. No one came out for the earth. So sad.
Pics and more later!

No comments: