Monday, August 6, 2007

I have to push the pram alot...

How weird. This is my last Monday here! Wednesday is my last day of work, and I'll fly back to DFW on Sunday. I'm sad to leave, but with August has come what news-folks call the 'silly season.' If I am asked to write one more story about a silly/scary cow/shark/bear entertaining/terrorising the UK, I am quitting early... But that and Madeline McCann seem to be the only news stories.
Friday, Rach, Cal, Bekah and I went to see Spamalot! I was really worried I wouldn't like it since I can probably quote the entire movie, but I absolutely loved it! I was sore from laughing. They add all these new elements to the show so no one could possible guess what comes next. Plus, the voice of God was played by John Cleese!
Before we went to Spamalot, we ate at a Mexican Food restaurant in Leister Square. AND I actually liked it! I take that to mean that I have been away from Texas too long.
Saturday, I hit up the final two museums I really had my heart set on visiting: the British Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
I'd forgotten that I'd been to the British Museum before, but once I walked in I had this strong memory of being jet lagged and exhausted, complaining with my 3 brothers and sisters about having to actively walk around until Mom and Dad caved in and took us to get cokes and a nearby cafe. I'm so glad I got to go back when I was well rested, the museum was wonderful. I walked around for hours, examining the Rosetta Stone and what remains of the east and west pediments from the Parthenon, as well as countless other artifacts from around the world. The museum is just packed with beautiful and telling pieces from ancient Greece/Rome/Egypt/etc. Sometimes, it made me wonder why those artifacts weren't, say, IN Greece/Rome/Egypt...but I digress.
Eventually, that museum just wears you out, so I hoped the tube to the V&A. It was a beautiful, summer day outside, so I sat in their courtyard, bathing in the sun next to the big, beautiful fountain. The V&A is pretty expansive as well, but I managed to see thier new fashion/textiles exhibit marking changes in dress over time, as well as a long, cool sculpture gallery. They also had a large exhibit of art from the Islamic world: finely woven rugs, delicately decorated vases, and beautifully illustrated books from places like Iran, Egypt, and Syria. It was hard to think of the current status of some of those countries, to think that few of those beautiful articles are being created in Iraq and Iran now...
Sunday, Cali, Rebekah and I went on a very nerdy, veeery touristy Beatles walking tour. We walked across the zebra crossing at Abbey road, saw the recording studio where they recorded Hey Jude, rested on the steps of the Palladium where Beatlemania officially began, saw the studio where animators created the movie Yellow Submarine and stood in front of the office building where the Beatles held their last live concert on a rooftop. I'll put some pictures up later! It was very surreal to think that the Beatles, the actual Beatles, were standing right where I was standing.
Rebekah and I spent the rest of the day in parks, lying in the sun reading and talking intermittently. Overall, a lovely weekend!

No comments: